|A Lost Legend of Redwall: The Scout|
A Lost Legend of Redwall: The Scout is the first episode of the The Lost Legends of Redwall video game series. It was originally scheduled for Early Access release on Steam on September 28, 2017, but it was delayed to December 18, 2017 for legal reasons.
The title was released with a 40% discount at $8.99 through December 25, 2017. On July 27, 2018, it entered into Beta.
Check out the Redwall Wiki's first look at the game.
A whimsical adventure game based on the bestselling Redwall books. Set in the winter shrouded wilderness between Lilygrove and Redwall Abbey, help Liam or Sophia race for help from the raiding rats under Cheesethief's command.
The events of The Scout play out along the ancient, but now altered, course of the mighty River Moss. What was once a wide river is now the sunken bed of a seasonal creek that that runs east-west between Redwall Abbey and the Great South Stream that feeds the swamps south and east of Salamandastron. The player must find a way through the confusing snow-covered channel punctuated by occasional hedgerows, ancient stone walls, scattered shacks, and the few-and-far-between hearths of friendly woodlanders.
The Scout is best understood as a stealth-adventure game set in the winter before the Summer of the Late Rose. It tells the story of a mouse who is driven to Redwall Abbey when sea rats raid the peaceful village of Lilygrove. The events of The Scout play out along the ancient, but now altered, course of the mighty River Moss. What was once a wide river is now the sunken bed of a seasonal creek that that runs east-west between Redwall Abbey and the Great South Stream that feeds the swamps south and east of Salamandastron. The player must find a way through the confusing snow-covered channel punctuated by occasional hedgerows, ancient stone walls, scattered shacks, and the few-and-far-between hearths of friendly woodlanders.
Along the way there is untold adventure to include (of course) feasting, fiddling, and even a few fisticuffs as we meet Valo Scrimpaw, the mysterious stoat who lives in the Winsome Wraith, Scumsnout the murderous wearet and the mysterious, ghostly assistance when all seems lost.
- Tussa Pawsnettle - Kailey Bray
Steam Early Access
With Steam Early Access of the game, players could expect a "single subterranean demo level to give players exposure to the core game mechanics in this stealth-adventure game where the player must navigate and safely pass a set of AI rat enemies who are searching for the player."
- File size: 1601 MB
1/5/2018 Steam Early Access Build : Bug Update V 0.51
- Controls Lab: Early players were pretty evenly split on what style of controls they wanted to see. Should they be more skill based or more cinematic? This build contains the first iteration of a Control Lab where you can experience two pretty different approaches…and vote on which one you prefer.
- Architect Points: The feedback we’ve been getting from early access players has been SO helpful and useful that we want to incentivize that kind of thing. So we’ll be adding in a system that rewards this kind of feedback with Architect Points. We still need to decide what these points get you…but it’ll be non-trivial so stand by.
- This is primarily a bug update to address some of the most pressing feedback we got from the first release. To that end expect more of a “fewer things wrong” update than a “bunch of new stuff” update and we plan to have minor bug updates a regular part of the cycle.
- What’s Next:
- Addition of the scent mechanic we’ve been working on, most likely in a controlled “Scent Lab” environment. Woodlanders experience the world through their noses as much as their eyes and ears and we’ve got a little something we think you’ll like coming up quickly.
- Playable alpha (or some progress thereto) for the Lighthouse scene including a three-part sequence and the villainous Scumsnout!
1/30/2018 Steam Early Access Build : Content Release V 0.6
- Scent Lab
- Updated Lilygrove Chase Scene
- Catacomb Graybox
2/4/2018 Steam Early Access Build : Content Release V 0.6
- Scent Lab: Scent Lab has been reworked to create a better flow. It should be easier to understand and experience.
2/16/2018 Steam Early Access Build : Tech Update V 0.61
- Updated Control Lab: We've been hard at work on a complete rebuild of the character control based partly on feedback from the initial launch. It's a big pivot but it's going well. Check out how that's coming along and give us your feedback on things like speed and jump strength. Still a lot more to do here, but we're probably over the hump.
- Water Update: Big changes to how we render water in Lilygrove and Old Moss Creek. We think new were able to find a great balance between realism and the stylized world we've been building.
- Updated Catacombs Graybox: Take a look at how the architecture on this level is coming along.
- What's Next:
- Hilltop Camp graybox. When we launched just before Christmas we striated with Old Moss Creek which is technically Act II, Scene I of the entire game. Since then we've been working backwards on level releases and finally we're getting to Act I, Scene I: Hilltop Camp...this is where it all begins.
3/30/2018 Steam Early Access Build : Combined Tech and Content Update V 0.70
- GDC Catacombs (Partial Level): Seen here is the very truncated experience we showed at GDC. It's designed around the rather constrained experience people have a trade show so it lacks much of what would be expected in a "normal" level but many people asked to see this...and your wishes are our commands.
- New Controls: Included in the catacombs update is the first release of an entirely new control scheme, including a whole new animation controller, that allows a lot more freedom of movement. If you play Old Moss Creek, which still has the old movement scheme, and compare the two we hope you'll see a significant improvement.
- NPC Direction Lab: Part of Redwall's essential ethos is a value for community and fellowship. With that in mind we've begun to make the NPC mice smarter and more capable. We want them to be a valuable part of your adventure and not just a lame escort mission. Seen here is a small testing ground where AI-Driven NPCs can be given directions and collect resources - their most critical role when traversing the cold wilderness.
- What's Next:
- Complete Catacombs Level: With the constraints of a booth removed we'll be opening up a lot more of this level and letting the everyone roam around a lot more - that includes the rats.
- Hilltop Camp Graybox: We had hoped to get this ready to show by this release but getting ready for GDC just took up too much oxygen to squeeze it in. But we'll have this in the next content update for sure.
5/25/2018 Steam Early Access Build : Combined Tech and Content Update V 0.9
The Scout has come a long way since our first build was posted just about five months ago and this might just be the last major update we make before making a genuine commercial release of Act I...depending on how this goes. :)
What's New? A lot...it would be shorter to tell what's the same but here's a few highlights:
- New Dialog System
- New level: Hilltop Camp
- New Menu system
- New cinematics
- Updated...just about everything
What's Next? There is still obviously work to be done in terms of polish and finished art assets so that's the main effort to come next as well as finishing off a few mini-levels, mini-games, and of course voice over work. Bug fixing and optimization are also ongoing matters so anticipate those to keep on going iteratively.
All that said - we're getting pretty close now and barring the unforeseen we expect to push forward in a way that focuses on additional content like more story lines, more levels and of course more playable characters and species.
7/27/2018 Beta! It's totally real...
After entering Early Access in December last year, and many iterations in the last seven months, we're ready to call this thing a Beta build.
"Beta" can be a slippery word so here's what WE mean by "Beta"
- We're working on bugs
- We're working on performance
- We're working on controls
- No more features are being added (yet)
- No more content is being added (yet)
If you've been lurking and hanging out, now is a good time to buy. We want, nay, we NEED your feedback to find every bug, glitch, and sneaking vermin before we go full release. As a motivation all Early Access purchases will be counted as full Season Passes when we go live which will get all three acts of The Scout when they release for the price of one. But this offer is only good until we release in full. After that - it's one episode at time for you boyo! ...If you're already in the EA group - you're already included in this deal. :)
What We've Been Up To:
If you are the proud owner of this game already but haven't played the build in a while, we'd like to invite you to take a look. The core levels have been polished and finalized, voice overs have been added, and every day more and more bugs are removed! After a warm reception at Portland's own Game Developers Conference, we are proud to call this game nearly complete.
Just A Taste Of The Newest Material:
-Hours of professional Voice Overs -Updated Art -Polished Quests -NPC group mechanic -Smarter, Deadlier Rats -Faster Ladders -Updated Lighting -Smoother FPS and Much Optimization
What You Can Look Forward To In Future Updates:
-Animated Cinematic -Polished Animations -Reworked Dialog System -New Mini-Levels with a Verminous Focus -An In-Depth Cooking System -New Ingredients -More Lore -Polished End-Level Records Screen -Polished Save System -Refined Scent Trails -And more :)
- Scene 1, Old Moss Creek
|The Lost Legends of Redwall Video Games|