Terrouge Productions published an electronic literary magazine, Terrouge, from 1998-2010. Terrouge also provided assorted Redwall-related activities, and hosts an abandoned web forum on its server. In addition, Terrouge produced and sponsored Questors Bold writing competitions and was involved in the formation of The Vulpine Imperium.
The name "Terrouge" comes from a combination of the Latin word for "earth" (terra) and the French word for "red" (rouge). Translated literally, "terrouge" means "red earth," or "land of the red."
Terrouge was founded in 1998 through the partnership of David Perini (Bobtail) and Kenny C. (Sunstripe the Mace), with an idea for a Redwall e-zine. Josh Boycott (Dyrne Alaran) offered to assist with the project, and Kelly Hamilton was later recruited to provide cover art.
The page was originally hosted on Perini's own webspace http://thor.prohosting.com/~perini/, but was soon moved to http://redwall.vr9.com within a few months. The first issue was released in November that same year.
Throughout the oncoming years, Terrouge grew more and more popular, gaining a large staff and exclusive interviews with Brian Jacques and artist David Wyatt. In 2000, Terrouge merged with Redwall club Camp Willow. The site stayed on the Vr9.com host until May 2002, when the server permanently went down. While at Vr9, Terrouge Productions also referred to itself as the "RedCenter."
Terrouge was forced to borrow webspace from Hamilton at this time, and for a brief period resided at http://terrouge.junglestudio.com/, until July 13, 2002, when the terrouge.com domain was acquired. By this same time, Perini and Boycott had left the Redwall Online Community, Boycott even going so far as to state he "[didn't] read the books anymore."
The following year, on September 26, 2003, Josh Boycott passed away in a fatal car accident at age 18.
In later years, Terrouge's popularity leveled off. Terrouge struggled in the mid-2000s with content issues and reporter recruitment. Consequently, the publisher decided to discuss general literature in addition to Redwall. The change occurred in January 2007 when the e-zine was renamed Firebird.
Leadership has changed hands several times throughout the years. In 2008, Terrouge momentarily switched to being run by a board of directors instead of a sole producer.
Two years after the announcement of Firebird, on January 24th, 2009, Terrouge Productions decided to return to their former title of Terrouge, under the leadership of Miskett. Later, on February 17th, it was stated that the "permanent Terrouge focus" would be Redwall-related, however in the same announcement it was also said that this was "not always set in stone," thus sending a conflicting message. This later proved to be accurate, as several issues throughout 2009 could hardly be described as focusing on Redwall.
Due to difficulties contacting Kenny C., the original owner of terrouge.com who is no longer involved with the site, Terrouge briefly changed domains to http://terrougeproductions.com in July 2009.
On October 3, 2009, exactly 10 months after lead Terrouge editor Miskett stated it was time for a period of "stable growth" and vowed not to let the e-zine "fall down," she announced her resignation, as well as that of her entire admin team, after serving barely a year. Ashen Fox was named as the new administrator and editor on November 8, 2009.
The website has failed to update since June 2010, and has seemingly been abandoned by all previous staff.
In July 2015, the terrouge.org domain expired. At some point afterwards, Terrouge went back to the former http://terrougeproductions.com URL.
- Kenny C. (1998)
- Josh Boycott (1998 - 2001)
- Erin Lewis (Shorestar) (2001 - 2003)
- Chiryoushi (2003 - 2005)
- Rob (Rat73) (2005 - 2006)
- Ublaz (2006)
- Philip P. (Vilu Daskar) (2006)
- Chiryoushi (2006 - 2007)
- Dan B. (Sawney Rath) (2007)
- Nick D. (Brookmere) (2007)
- Nate (Frost) (2007)
- Zian Choy (2007 - 2008)
- Lucy (Miskett) (Assistant editor) (2007 - 2008)
- Highwing (Assistant editor) (2007 - Present)
- Amanda Pruitt (Litika) (2007 - Present)
- Ashen Fox (2007 - 2009)
- Lucy (Miskett) (2009)
- Ashen Fox (2010)
- Kenny C. (1998 - 2004, 2007 - 2008)
- Sean Ainsworth (Stormclaw) (2004 - 2006)
- Philip P. (Vilu Daskar) (2006 - 2007)
- Zian Choy (2008)
- Lucy (Miskett) (2009)
- Ashen Fox (2009 - Present)
Senior writers have regularly written for Terrouge Productions for 6 or more months.
- David (1998 - 1999)
- Kenny (1998 - 2003)
- Josh (1998 - 2001)
- Erin (1999 - 2003)
- Kathryn (2000 - 2003)
- Nick (2000 - 2003)
- Lewis (2000 - 2003)
- Tari (2000 - 2003)
- James (2001 - 2003)
- Misha (2001 - 2003)
- Jessica (2001 - 2003)
- Sean Rubin (2001 - 2003)
- Sean Ainsworth (2002 - 2005)
- Julia (2002 - 2003)
- Danielle (2002 - 2005)
- Fwirl (2003 - 2005)
- Jason (2003 - 2007)
- Rystan (2003 - 2005)
- Eulalia (2003 - 2005)
- Ublaz (2005 - 2006, 2008 - 2009)
- Tiberuvsky (2005)
- Linny (2005 - 2006)
- Snowspine (2005 - 2006)
- Ringet Loris (2005 - 2006)
- Scolly (2006 - 2007)
- Philip P. (2006 - 2007)
- Geo Holms (2006- 2009)
- Zach (2007)
- Zian Choy (2007 - 2008)
- Kelly (Nadia) (2007 - 2008)
- Highwing (2003 - 2009)
- Grant (2007 - 2009)
- Lauren (2007 - 2009)
- Sara (2007 - 2009)
- Sean Rubin (? - 2005)
- Philip P. (2006 - 2007)
- Emily Burkman (Nyctalo) (2007 - 2008)
- Amber Bryan (Dawnfinder) (2008 - 2009)
- Lucy (Miskett) (2008 - 2009)
- Rebecca R. (Axcelia)
- Spenser Nottage (Akira)
- Ashen Fox
- Carolyn (Kyrahlynn)
- Kelly Hamilton (Fernblossom)
- Sean Rubin
- Ringet Loris
Faces of Terrouge
Over the years, Terrouge has had many different looks.
Founded in the summer of 2003 by Retto and various others including Arven and Sean Rubin, the Vulpine Imperium is a highly interactive site, including a monetary unit, the gilder, several minigames, ships, forums, a blue crab with an appetite for stoat tails, a parrot by the name of Cardigan, a hobo named Phil (species unknown), corporations, shops, and arsenic-laden candles. Supposedly set in the 1700s with Emperor Mar'Kan II at the throne, in Boullabaise Harbor (affectionately called "Bully Harbor"), the members of this club enjoy out-of-place items. The lack of gunpowder is made up for with Odde Tinge, invented by one Seige Cielsciosk (AKA Scolly/Sharpfur), and with several odd properties, including making the drinker wide awake, but decidedly odd, and the ability to eat through wood very easily.
The three ships of the Imperial Navy are:
- The BlackShip
- The Skeered of Nothing (Now Sunk)
- The Golden Hide
Ministers and Emperor and Mayor
The five ministers and the Emperor and the Mayor of the Imperium are:
- Nuori Sken, Ministress of Foreign War and Domestic Peace, Bloodthirsty Marten
- Marquo Lysander Senderjay, Minister of Niceties, Cultures, Arts, and Information, Gentleman Fox
- To be reassigned, Minister of Commerce, Finance, Trade, and Business, Bussiness
- Vladimir L. Ullyanov, Minister of Misanthropy, Thievery, and General Skullduggeries, Half-Face Wildcat (Currently Emperor)
- Retto A. Arbach, Minister of Innovation, Eccentric Ferret
- Ullyanov I, His Majesty the Emperor, Purportedly immortal and presumed insane Wildcat
- Tandor Slemm, Monsieur the Mayor
- Phil the Hobo-Phil is a homeless NPC character, species unknown, whose hobbies consist of wandering the streets in a stupor, acting dumb, and eating chalk in the old abandoned university. (It was later discovered that Phil was the brother of the late Emperor Mar'kan II, and took up power at the death of Nuori Sken at the paws of Vladimir Ullyanov, whom later replaced him as Emperor.)
- Hubert the Crab-Mascot of The BlackShip, property of Logbrush Dirgesong, and resident of The Mar'kan's Glory, Hubert the Blue Crab has a taste for the tails of stoats.
- Cardigan the Parrot-The mischievous parrot, property of Tess Darkstar, former resident of The BlackShip, and rather fond of swooping down on unsuspecting beasts from the rigging to purloin their headwear.
- Spender Cielsciosk-The young son of V'era and Seige, Spender is a troublemaker, fond of picking his nose in the presence of important beasts, being a literal example of an ankle-biter, and hanging from tall objects.
- Sean Castrigg Waters-Deceased captain of the BlackShip, Sean was done in by his ex-wife, who hit him with a frying pan. He has made a later appearance as a ghost.
- Beat A Sean Day-The day of the year when beasts grab a frying pan, and go looking for anyone named Sean, so that they may beat them over the head with a frying pan.