The Cellar is a region of Redwall Abbey where all the ales, cordials, fizzes and other drinks consumed by Abbey residents are brewed and stored. Resident cellarmasters and brewers carefully prepare and monitor these wonderful beverages, which add to the pride and fame of the Abbey.
The Cellar is a vast, underground area - much of it is ill-lit, and creatures are constantly discovering things about it they had not known before. At least two secret passages are known to lead out of the cellars - one was discovered in the time of Mattimeo, and the other in the time of Doomwyte. There is also a spring beneath the cellar floor, also discovered in the time of Mattimeo. Furthermore, the cellar has a "little forge" of sorts in it, presumably for making such things as barrel rings - this is mentioned in the books Rakkety Tam and High Rhulain.
In the time of Doomwyte, it is mentioned that no doors in the Abbey (including that of the cellar) have keys or keyholes. However, by the time of The Rogue Crew, a keyhole or padlock of some sort had been installed on the Cellar door; Foremole Roogo is described as carrying around a set of keys, with which he locks or unlocks the Cellars as he sees fit.
Cellarmasters are generally hedgehogs or moles. Quite often the title of Cellarmaster becomes a family trade, passed on from generation to generation.
Here are the known Cellarmasters in chronological order.
- Ferdy and Coggs Stickle (appear in Mossflower, The Legend of Luke)
- Bral Hogmorton (appears in Outcast of Redwall)
- Brownspike O'Quill (mentioned in Mariel of Redwall)
- Gabriel Quill (appears in Mariel of Redwall, Martin the Warrior)
- Durry Quill (appears in Mariel of Redwall, The Bellmaker, Martin the Warrior)
- Tudd Spinney and Burrley (appears in Salamandastron)
- Ambrose Spike (appears in Redwall, Mattimeo)
- Jabez Stump (appears in Mattimeo)
- Furlo Stump (appears in Pearls of Lutra)
- Gurrbowl (appears in Pearls of Lutra, The Long Patrol, Marlfox)
- Gurgan Spearback (appears in The Long Patrol)
- Tragglo Spearback (appears in Marlfox)
- Drogg Spearback (appears in Taggerung)
- Gurdle Sprink (appears in Triss)
- Junty (appears in Loamhedge)
- Muggum (appears in Loamhedge)
- Abbot Humble (appears in Rakkety Tam)
- Burlop (appears in Rakkety Tam)
- Brink Greyspoke (appears in High Rhulain)
- Benjo Tipps (appears in Eulalia!)
- Corksnout Spikkle (appears in Doomwyte)
- Gullub Gurrpaw (appears in Doomwyte)
- Gurjee (appears in The Sable Quean)
- Jum Gurdy (appears in The Rogue Crew)