- A fox ran through Mossfower. A sword in his paw, he kept glancing back. A squirrel was quickly gaining on him. He stopped and faced his foe.
- "Silly squirrel, who are ya?"
- "Deria Treejumper, your live ends here fox."
- The fox showed no fear, but Deria could still see it."Why will my life end here?"
- "I saw what you did to that old mouse, so I now avenge her death!"Deria threw a javelin into the fox's heart. She grabbed it, twisted it, and the fox's heart came out as she pulled.
- She stared into the fox's dead eyes."I'm Deria Treejumper...Guardian of Mossflower."
Book 1: Mossflower Awaits Death
- In Mossflower Woods was Redwall Abbey. All the beast were doing regular chores. Abbess Perrit was watching her Abbey like a falcon, making sure nothing is wrong.
- "Mrs. Perrit, Furff and Dugry are acting up again!"said Columbine, the dibbuns leader."They act like children still! Will they ever grow up?"
- "Ha, you just have to deal with it Columbine. Sooner or later, the two are going to have a world awaking."Just then, the squuirrlmaid and mole came running over.
- "Mrs. Columbine, Dugry was stung in his mouth by a bee! Ha!"Furff laughed. Dugry nodded in agreement. He opened his mouth and his tongue was puffy.
- "Oh, boy!"Columbine slapped her head."Come on Dugry."
- Streamfire Riverdog sat on a rock. Behind her was The Riverdog Holt. Her father, Chieftain Forseek, was mad with her. She didn't want to get married to handsome otter Tugger.
- "Why Streamfire? Why'a won' ya wed the handsome lad?"
- "Because daddy, I'm not ready. I'm'a gonna find someone I want t'wed!"
- "But Tugger asked me first, and I say yes! Marry him Streamfire!"
- Forseek gave a sigh."Ya gonna want t'wed him soon Streamfire. Soon!"He then walked away mad with anger.
- Tugger had been listening."So ya don't want t'marry me?"
- Streamfire turned."Oh Tugger, if I would marry anyone otter lad, it will be ya."she kissed him on the cheek."But I'm just not ready t'."
- She had brightened his sprite and he walk away feeling better. But Streamfire was telling the truth. She wasn't ready!